Frequently Asked Questions About
the OTD for Post-Professional Students

  • Can I apply for a graduate degree?

    If you have an undergraduate degree in occupational therapy or are an occupational therapist you can apply for the OTD as a post-professional.  The Rehabilitation and Participation Science (RAPS) PhD program is also an option for those seeking a doctoral degree.

  • Do you offer the program online?

    A blended learning approach allows students to complete many learning experiences remotely. Students may also choose study plans requiring in-person learning at our campus in St. Louis, Missouri. Applicants should discuss remote learning needs with the assistant director.

  • Can I do this part-time?

    Yes, many of our post-professional students pursue this degree on a part-time basis while working full or part-time.

  • Do you have classes at night?

    Students participating in our blended learning program can participate in asynchronous learning activities at their convenience, including night and weekends. Experiences delivered synchronously or in-person are performed at a pre-arranged time, which may be during traditional work hours.

  • How long will it take me to finish?

    The length of time to complete the program depends upon the student’s individualized learning plan that describes the required coursework and course sequence. Well-prepared students that are able to take two courses per semester should be able to finish the program in 2-2.5 years.  


  • How much will it cost?

    Courses in our post-professional doctoral program for the 2016-2017 academic year cost $1,225 per credit hour, or $3,675 per three credit class. The total cost of the degree will vary by individual depending on how many courses are needed.

  • Can international students apply for this degree?

    Yes, we have had a number of occupational therapists from other countries complete their doctoral degrees here.

  • Do you offer financial aid?

    U.S. students may be eligible for federally subsidized student loans. International students must be able to provide proof of financial support for their studies in order to obtain a visa. All post-professional students will be given the opportunity to work as a teaching assistant in one class which will provide a small amount of funding to the student. A student with a great deal of relevant professional experience might receive more than one such opportunity and be able to use his or her teaching as a way to partially defray the cost of tuition. International students must still provide proof of the ability to pay for the entire course of study.

US News Report, Best Grad Schools