Parenting with Disabilities
Periodicially, parents with disabilities may find themselves in search of adaptive equipment, or alternate approaches to a parenting task. Upon uncovering this need, our team of specially trained clinicians created the parenting with disabilities program to address these requests. Through this program, we are able partner with parents one-on-one to equip them with the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to safely and independently parent the way they want to throughout each stage of the child’s life.
Regardless of the stage or age of your kids, our team is here to help. We can:
- assist with pregnancy planning, in both natural births and adoptions
- schedule home visits to evaluate the spaces and equipment for baby care/childcare ease
- provide advocacy when developing birth plans, making arrangements with health care providers, or during court proceedings
- manage wheelchair adjustments needed during pregnancy
- complete performance evaluations for skill development or use in legal matters
- provide ergonomic techniques for protecting the parent’s body during baby care tasks
- provide resources on how to manage attendant or family support in parenting
- evaluate school accessibility
- perform developmental follow-ups as the child grows, and
- lend resources and adaptive equipment for clients to try before they buy.
During a home visit, our clinician can make recommendations for:
- assistive technology and adaptive baby care equipment needs
- seating and mobility health and comfort during pregnancy as a result of body changes and weight fluctuations, and
- best practices in feeding, transporting, diapering, and bathing kids.
If you’re a parent or a loved one looking for accessible parenting solutions, we can help. We will offer support, answer questions, share recommendations, and connect you with resources in the community, so that you can focus on what matters most—your family.