Collaborative Community Clinic
The Collaborative Community Clinic (CCC) is housed within the Paraquad Health and Wellness Center at 5200 Berthold Ave. Students collaborate with Dr. Walker to conduct the spinal cord injury/disease (SCI/D) Health and Participation Program, which consists of a combination of groups and one-on-one OT sessions serving persons with spinal cord injury and disease who are un- or under-insured. The full program includes a pre-assessment session, four groups, four individual sessions and a post-survey over 10 weeks. Group topics include bowel/bladder management, promoting intimacy, adaptive parenting, community mobility, advocacy, transportation and finding resources. Students are involved in recruiting participants, co-leading group sessions, treatment planning and implementation for individual sessions, and development of topic-specific materials.
General Description of Student Activities
Students who select Dr. Walker as their mentor will have the opportunity to work with assistive technology to improve community participation including, but not limited to, adaptive baby care equipment, adaptive workplace accommodations, adaptive exercise equipment or mobility devices, depending on the client. Students will also be involved in the CCC, participating in groups and individual sessions with persons with SCI/D.
Students will also have the opportunity to participate in clinical appointments both in the clinic and during community visits, develop new programming through the CCC, track outcomes, and present to medical professionals and community organizations. Examples of student clinical experiences include participating in home visits with parents with disabilities, seating and mobility evaluations (clinic/work/home), participating in groups and individual sessions through the experiential learning clinic (CCC), and volunteering in Paraquad’s Health and Wellness Program in the accessible gym.
Students will need to arrange their own transportation to be able to transition between 4444 Forest Park Ave. and Paraquad’s Health and Wellness Center at 5200 Berthold Ave. and to attend community visits.
Examples of Projects
- Facilitating intimacy and sexual participation in people with SCI/D: Occupational therapy interventions for bowel and bladder management, skin and pressure management, and positioning
- Increasing the accessibility of resources for prospective adoptive parents with disabilities to understand and utilize their rights in the adoption process
- Growing together: Strategies for parents with disabilities to engage children in developmentally appropriate activities
- Program evaluation and development of resources on sexuality/intimacy for clients with spinal cord injury and professionals serving them
- Implementation of a self-management program for parents with SCI/D